Foxes, we don’t think you should wash the dishes every day, and you definitely shouldn’t wash your hair on the daily.
(Leave the dishes to your partner/kids/tomorrow every now and then!)
The best part is, NOT washing your hair every day has some pretty incredible health benefits for your scalp and strands in the short term and the long term. So here’s why you shouldn’t wash your hair every day, and our best tips on how to avoid looking greasy between washes.
The health benefits of not washing your hair
That’s right – not washing your hair is good for you. The main reason is to protect your scalp’s natural oil production. You see, your scalp, like your face or hands, produces oil called sebum as a way of protecting itself from the elements. Stripping this oil from your scalp leaves it unprotected and to compensate, it will try to produce MORE oil. This overproduction of sebum isn’t healthy, and continuously washing away this protective layer can leave you with a dry, damaged scalp.
But that’s not it, there are TONS of benefits to waiting a day or two (or three or four) between washes. Here are a few more:
- You’ll use less water
- You’ll less product, like shampoo and conditioner
- Unwashed hair is easier to style
- Your colour will last longer, and look better over time
- Your natural sebum can better feed your hair with nutrients
Unwashed hair is easier to style
Ever had your hair professionally styled? Most stylists, including our hair stylists at Stone Fox Hair, will ask you to come in with hair that was washed the day before. The little bit of oil that accumulates, as well as yesterday’s product, helps your hair stay more tame so you or your stylist can create the perfect look.
How often should you wash your hair?
There’s no easy answer to this one, and the general rule is: Do what works best for your unique hair. At the very least, most hair can go at least one day without washing. If you’re lucky, though, you’re among the people who can wait five days between washes!
It all depends on your scalp’s sebum production and the health of your hair. The best thing is always to talk to your hair stylist for the definitive answer.
Keep your hair looking fresh between washes
You still want to have sexy, bouncy, pretty hair between washes! Here are some of our favourite ways to make that happen:
- Apply Kevin Murphy’s Doo.Over or a similar dry shampoo product. Use it the night before your hair will look greasy, not the morning that it starts to go flat. The dry shampoo will absorb any excess oil to keep more volume your roots and eliminate that shiny, greasy appearance.
- Experiment with up-dos. Use non-wash days to create fun, funky up-dos, like bouncy ponytails, top knots, messy buns or piles of braids.
- Brush often, with the right brush. A hair brush helps distribute the oil from your roots down the shaft of your hair. This keeps oil from accumulating at the root and reduces that greasy look between washes! Plus, sebum is full of nutrients, so help distribute these along more of your hair for healthier strands
- Don’t condition the roots. Only the ends of your hair really need conditioner, and applying it too close to the roots can add unnecessary oil to your hair, as well as weighing it down.
- Be selective about the products you apply. Gels, mousses, waxes and creams can all contribute to heavy, greasy-looking hair.
If your hair tends to look greasy quickly, skip these products altogether. Ask our hair stylists for product options that won’t weigh you down, but still help you get the style you love!